Mavin and his team wishes you
A happy and healthy Yoga day ahead.
Tourism Secretary Lalit K Panwar stated that Tourism Ministry has given about Rs 10 crore on Marketing Yoga Day in India. Read on for more..
Globalization of Yoga:
- June 21 was declared as the International Day of Yoga by the United Nations General Assembly on December 11, 2014.
- Yoga, a physical, mental and spiritual practice having its origin over 6000 years ago in India aims to integrate the body and the mind.
- The declaration of this day came after the call for the adoption of 21 June as International Day of Yoga by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his address to UN General Assembly on September 27, 2014.
Why 21st June ?
- June 21, which is the Summer Solstice, as the International Day of Yoga, the date is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and has special significance in many parts of the world.
- From the perspective of yoga, the Summer Solstice marks the transition to Dakshinayana. The first full moon after Summer Solstice is known as Guru Poornima.
Support around the globe:
- The Prime Minister of Nepal Sushil Koirala supported the proposal of Modi.
- More than 177 countries including USA, Canada, China and Egypt have supported this move.
- In UN general assembly (UNGA) over 175 nations agreed to co-sponsor the resolution which is the highest number of co-sponsors ever for any UNGA Resolution of such nature.
- The resolution also saw a record number of 177 countries co-sponsoring it.
- Indian missions in Sri Lanka, Jordan, Norway, Argentina and Thailand will be hosting the mega event on 21 June.
Building Yoga Brand:
- The 14-day brand-building exercise includes publicity on TV, radio, hoardings and billboards, brochures, etc.
- The ministry has tasked its 14 offices across the world with promoting celebration of the first International Yoga Day on June 21.
- Countries with sizeable Indian population also was asked to organize an event on the lines of Yoga.
- The Indian High Commissioner’s office in London, for instance, has been granted a special fund of Rs 25 lakh to organise a yoga event to coincide with the celebrations at a stadium in the British capital.
- The information and broadcasting ministry has been allotted Rs 5.5 crore from the ministry of AYUSH, which is spearheading the yoga project.
- Official broadcaster Doordarshan will share its live feed of the event on Sunday with broadcasters from over 170 countries in the world to ensure that it gets as much publicity as possible.
- The money is being spent on advertising through the Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publicity.
- Discovery Network, for example, has created a one-hour special programme by roping in Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Bharat Thakur, Deepak Chopra, Baba Ramdev and Bollywood stars Anil Kapoor, Shilpa Shetty, Mahesh Bhatt and Suresh Oberoi.
- Advertisers including Audi, Pulsar and Lenovo have picked up spots during the show.
- Similarly, as an Indian Broadcasting Foundation member, Star Group, too, has given media inventory to air the campaign.