An unmanned SpaceX rocket exploded about two minutes after lift off from Florida, destroying a cargo ship bound for the International Space Station in the latest in a string of mishaps in supplying the orbiting outpost.
What is SpaceX :
- Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX) is an American aerospace maufacturer and space transport services company with its headquarters in hawthorne, California, USA.
- It was founded in 2002 by former Paypal entrepreneur and Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk with the goal of creating the technologies that will enable humanity to reduce space transportation costs and enable the colonization of mars.
- Falcon 9 which carries Dragon capsule experienced a problem shortly before first stage shutdown. Will provide more info as soon as we review the data.
- It wasn’t clear what caused the rocket, named Dragon, to fail. SpaceX will conduct an investigation overseen by the Federal Aviation Administration.
- Also aboard the doomed Dragon spacecraft were a new docking device and a water filtration system.
- Dragon is a partially reusable spacecraft developed by Space X.
- At the time of the incident, Dragon capsule was loaded with 5,461 pounds (2,477 kg) of food, clothing, equipment and science experiments for the space station, a $100 billion research laboratory that flies about 260 miles (420 km) above Earth.
- Dragon is the only one of the four cargo ships flying to the station that can return science experiments and gear to Earth.
- The other spacecraft Russia’s Progress, Orbital’s Cygnus and Japan’s HTV – burn up in the atmosphere after they make their deliveries and are released back into space.