United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has added Rio de Janeiro in the World Heritage List. UN cultural body has highlighted the “extraordinary fusion” of manmade and natural beauty while certifying Rio de Janeiro. It is nicknamed as the Marvelous City on the world heritage list during the ceremony which was held at the Christ the Redeemer status.
According to UN, blend has created an urban landscape which is perceived to be great beauty by many of the writers and travelers and one which has shaped culture of the city. UN further stated that, “Rio de Janeiro is also recognized for the artistic inspiration it has provided to musicians, landscapers and urbanists.”
Although, the UNESCO heritage status was announced in 2012, it only became official after the Brazilian authorities which were given four years for reporting over their plans for protecting likes of Flamengo Park, Sugarloaf Mountain, the Corcovado, Copacabana beach, the Botanical Garden and Tijuca forest.
Source: Top Historical Events – YouTube
World Heritage mission of UNESCO
- Encouraging countries to sign the World Heritage Convention and ensuring the protection of their natural and cultural heritage.
- Encouraging state parties for establishing management plans and setting up reporting systems over the state of conservation of their World Heritage Sites.
- Providing emergency assistance for World Heritage Sites in immediate danger.
- Encouraging participation of the local population over preservation of their cultural and natural heritage.
- Encouraging state parties to the Convention of nominee states which are within the national territory for the inclusion on the World Heritage List.
- Helping State Parties for safeguarding World Heritage Properties by means of providing technical assistance and even professional training.
- Supporting State Parties public awareness building activities for the conservation of World Heritage.
- Encouraging international cooperation for the conservation of our world’s cultural and natural heritage.