One of the great advancement in recent times in the sticking technology by Prof. Hanchen Huang of North Eastern University and two of its phd students. They says that they had dreamed to revolutionize the technology of glueing and find some of the innovative approach of glueing things together.
Their concept is being based on MesoGlue which includes a metal which behaves as a glue without providing higher temperature and gets bonded with each other even at normal room temperature. This process is being called as similar to welding and soldering as it is being using metal to physically bond things together but without any usage of heat in it.
Basic Composition of MesoGlue
The basic composition of MesoGlue included infitisemial small rods with metallic cores which are being coated with Indium on one side and Gallium on the other side. This coated rods formed the structure of an angled teeth and formed the structure of an Upper comb and Lower comb. When both the metals Indium and Gallium touches each other they forms liquid, the metallic core does the function of converting this liquid into solid. The resulting glue ultimately provides the strength and thermal/electrical conductance to the weld. Northeastern University received a provisional patent for this development.
Over the standard glue, MesoGlue provides this benefits over its usage:
- It can easily withstand higher temperature without affecting more over its performance aspects.
- Provides good thermal and electrical conductance over the glue.
- It also provides good resistance to Air/Gas leaks.
- Lower cost then soldering or welding.
- Higher temperature being necessary for welding and soldering sometimes proves to be disastrious for the neighbouring delicate components like diodes.
Being taking care of the disadvantages of both the traditional Glue and Metallic soldering and Welding operations, it finds many applicability in Industrial Envirounment. Some of the applications are being listed below:
- It can possibly replace Thermal Grease.
- Being acting as a Conductor it can replace today’s solders.
- Particular applications includes solar cells, pipe fittings and components for computer and mobile devices.