Advanced technologies implementation is becoming quite common in our everyday life routines. Even use of the taxis has become automated by means of the use of booking services for the same.
Advancing it further a newer method of implementation of taxis without drivers is going to be rolling out in Singapore.
Operation of Driver-less Taxi:
This world’s first driver less taxi went into operation during this week in Singapore over the limited public trial while beating giants like Uber over the race of rolling out of the revolutionary technology.
This robo taxi service is being tested at the small research campus which is well away from the thrum of the Asian Business Hub.
Data obtained by conducting the experiments will be feed over rolling out of the driver-less taxis across the city-state during 2018 says nuTonomy which is a US based Tech startup which developed the software used in vehicles.
nuTonomy which is a chief executive and co-founder Karl Iagnerma adding to the same says, “The trial represents an extraordinary opportunity to collect feedback from riders in a real world setting.
This feedback will give nuTonomy a unique advantage as we work toward deployment of a self-driving vehicle fleet in 2018”
Source: TODAYonline – Youtube
Journey of Testing the Driver-less Taxi:
- There are six taxis which includes Renault Zoe and Mitsubishi i-MiEV electric vehicles will be operating in a 2.5 square mile are with set pick-up and even drop points. Trips needs to be booked via smartphone app of company.
- Although this hi-tech cars will be driven by themselves, each of its journey will be accompanied by nuTonomy engineer. He will be performing the work of observing how the machine performs and will further be ready to take over in the case of event of a problem.
- Throughout the trial, company will be collecting and evaluating data related to the software’s performance, booking process, vehicle routing and even the overall experience of passenger. This data will further be helping for refining the preparation of the commercial launch to be done in 2018.
nuTonomy: Launching of Driver-less Car
- Nutonomy is backed up by VC firm Highland Capital Partners, Samsung Ventures and EDBI which is an investment arm of Singapore Economic Development Board. Other investors includes Fontinalis Partners which is co-founded by Ford Motor chairman Bill Ford and Signal Ventures.
- Ride-sharing giant Uber even added last week that it would further be launching driver-less cars in the city of US of Pittsburgh by the end of the August. It has even established a venture of USD 300 million with the Chinese-owned, Swedish based Volvo for developing the self-driving cars for sale by means of 2021.
- Separately, the Google parent Alphabet has announced in May that it will be partnering Fiat Chrysler over expanding its fleet of self-driving vehicles. They are hoping that it will be hitting the road by the end of 2016.