Course of action by police:
- They booked over a 100 people who were involved. They will be arrested and treated as per the provisions of the law.
- Over 100 jawans thronged the Upnagar police station, which is headed by Namrata Desai, and went on a rampage destroying property and attacking policemen.
- The jawans were infuriated after one of their colleagues was booked by the police for obstructing policemen from performing their duty.
Reason for this rampage by Army personnel:
- Ashish Bagul, an officer undergoing training at the School of Artillery, had gone to the Upnagar police station on 13 January night, to file a complaint.
- He was accompanied by a friend and they had allegedly parked their vehicle in front of the police station gate.
- Bagul allegedly entered into an argument with police personnel after he asked Bagul to move his vehicle.
- The police subsequently filed a case against Bagul and his friend under Section 353 for obstructing an officer on duty. As per the procedure a case was filed and Bagul was handed over to the military personnel (As per the military rules, offending personnel need to be handed back to the Army after the local police files a case.)